Friday, August 26, 2011

Learning something new each day

Today has been educational. I've learnt alot about how hard I should exercise which is obviously great knowledge to have.
I'll be putting the c25k on hold for the time being. I was training at well above 80% of my maximum heart rate and I think doing that for extended periods will only hurt me at the moment. Afterall, we are still in pre season and I'm happy to wait until we're given more direct orders when the program starts.

So from now on I'll be doing lower intensity exercise for a longer period of time starting with brisk walking. I'll need to do this for at least an hour and then probably another exercise at some stage during the day to hit the 500 calorie mark, but as long as I don't harm myself then it's all awesome.

Today was also very testing. It's Friday and after my week I decided I could chill on the couch for an hour and catch up with a DVD. Whilst sitting there, my daughter was in bed and my son was munching away on a pack of tiny teddies. I instantly thought "I need some chips" but then told myself off and stayed on the couch for another 30 minutes, wrestling with myself in my head. 30 mins and 2 glasses of water later and I was still wanting something to eat so I got up and headed for the pantry. The packet of corn chips was picked up and flipped over before nearly being dropped! I thought I might have the serving size of the chips as my snack, thinking to myself it couldn't be very high in cals if it's just the serving size. Imagine my surprise and horror when I saw 233 calories per 40gram serve!! That's like, 2 chips! Well, I threw them back in the cupboard. There was no way I was destroying my hard work over the last 12 days for 2 chips! Dinner would have been a couple of lettuce leaves instead of my beautiful salmon fillet! So I reached for my 100 calorie protein bar and I grabbed a hot chocolate sachet. All up - 147 calories. MUCH better and would keep me well within my daily limit.
It didn't feel like much of a win because I've had quite a few small wins like this in the last 12 days, but it was a huge breakthrough. To go this long without satisfying my cravings is such a big deal for me.

Tonight I've had some thoughts. Thoughts of grabbing something to munch on not because I'm hungry, but because we had an early dinner and it's what I normally used to do. I've stopped myself for now, but these thoughts will make their way back in, most likely tomorrow whilst we are away from home visiting family. It will be a test but I'm determined to win.



No comments:

Post a Comment