Sunday, August 21, 2011

Resisting temptation

I've always thought it near impossible. That I never had enough 'will power'. That I could never control my emotions over food. If there was something I liked within a 10 metre radius, I was going to eat it. If I went out for dinner, I HAD to have breads to start, then my main and of course you HAVE to have dessert! What's the point in going out for dinner if you're not going to go all out?

Clearly I've been missing the mark completely. For 28 odd years, I've thought myself lacking in self control. That I just couldn't resist temptation. For 28 years I've been lying to myself. For 28 years I've been making bullshit excuses. Why? To make life easier? Because I was too lazy? Because I truly didn't have any 'will power'?

Will power is a crock.Well, apart from this Will Power...


  Who is actually quite a talented racing car driver and probably has lots of it!

I'm here to tell you that resisting temptation is EASY! No, don't laugh. No rolling of the eyes either... It REALLY is! I've been proving it everyday for the last week solid. I've resisted. I've said no. I've stopped myself devouring entire buffets. I've been able to control my emotions when it comes to food and it's really starting to pay off - yes after only 7 days!

One week ago, had I have gone out to the local pub for a family dinner, this is what I would have ordered:

Yep. A disgustingly huge fisherman's basket. Of course, I would have a salad on the side but do you think it would ever get touched? If you guessed no, then you are 100% correct. 
Anyway, I'd devour an entire one of these ON MY OWN full of fatty, greasy disgusting-ness, wash it down with 5-6 glasses of 'coke' (you know, that second rate syrup-y concoction), and finish it off with an ice cream sundae that included 3 large scoops of ice cream, chocolate topping and a couple of those chocolate swizzle sticks.
Oh and don't forget the 2-3 pieces of garlic bread for starters!! 

I went back to the local pub last night. As a matter of fact, I went there for the very first time. With a DECENT mindset. With high expectations of myself and my ability to choose the right foods. Well, I did it! It was a struggle, considering the meals ordered around me, but I did it. I drank only water and didn't even consider getting a soft drink of any description. I didn't have any bread or any sort of 'starter'. I had a reasonably healthy chicken dish with veggies and NO CHIPS!! Well, none on my plate anyway. I did sneak 5 before my meal came out which I felt terrible about afterwards, but that is still a huge win in my books!  To finish the night while everyone else tucked into a sundae or other form of dessert, I had a skinny hot chocolate. I did it. I made it through the night with only one tiny slip up after which, I got back on track. It was then I noticed how far I've come in such a short time.

I'm eating breakfast daily. I'm really thinking about what my lunch should consist of (poached eggs on wholemeal toast today and a serving of activia yoghurt). I'm considering snacks if I feel like them and then planning dinner and making sure I steer clear of the bad stuff. Tonight was Salmon fillets with sweet potato mash, green beans and baby carrots. Hubs had rice and served rice up with mine... but I didn't touch it. Another win! My kids even had nuggets, chips and veg and I didn't even bother touching any of it.

How's that for resisting temptation?!!

I had a fab phone call from my sister today and whilst we talked mainly about her upcoming wedding in Jan (that I am to be a bridesmaid in), the conversation did eventually get onto my eating at the moment. I think she's rather impressed with me. Having overcome depression that shocked my entire family only months ago, she was so impressed with how happy and well I sounded and even commented that I sounded really motivated. I know she'll be jumping for joy inside just in the knowledge that I'm trying to do something for myself. I want to make her proud and I want to be a beautiful bridesmaid for her on her wedding day. I want to be a beautiful bridesmaid for myself on her wedding day! It's just so nice to be able to discuss everything with family who are super supportive. 

Tomorrow morning my husband wants me to get up early. I'm a shocker in the mornings... not a very nice person to be around initially. He wants me to do it and I'm going to. I'm going to get up early and I'm going to go for a jog. Just 30 minutes while he's getting ready for work and the kids are amused. Tomorrow night I have a 50min strength training class and I'm going to work my backside off. I'm looking forward to my FT7 coming in the mail in the coming days too. I can't wait to have that motivational tool behind me.

So in closing (lol), week one has ROCKED. I've surprised myself with my newly discovered self control. My ability to do things that will benefit me. The nerve to shout to myself NO! 
I'm like a new person. I feel so much better already! My body is working more efficiently. I WANT to do this. I NEED to do this.
This is one week of my life that I won't regret. One week where I've put myself first. The first week of my life, and definitely not the last.

xx







No comments:

Post a Comment